Thanksgiving Foods Your Pet Should Avoid

Forbidden foods

Turkey brine
With its mix of salt, sugar and spices, turkey brine can cause salt toxicity in dogs. Salt toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and neurological signs. Large exposures can be potentially fatal.

We splurge when we cook holiday foods, adding spoonfuls of butter, oil, and seasonings to make everything more delicious. Generally speaking, leftovers are not healthy for dogs or cats to consume. High-fat foods can cause gastrointestinal inflammation and pancreatic inflammation (pancreatitis) leading to vomiting, diarrhea, poor appetite, and dehydration. While these signs can range from mild to severe, these conditions, especially pancreatitis, can be life threatening and lead to bleeding problems and multiple organ failure. Both dogs and cats can suffer from pancreatitis. Patients treated early and aggressively often recover, but some patients need to be hospitalized.

As the days pass, leftovers can grow mold, which can cause liver toxicity in dogs. Bacteria in these foods, especially raw foods, can lead to gastrointestinal infections and signs of systemic illness. Bones and any containers that food is stored in are especially dangerous, as they can lead to foreign body obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract.

Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions can cause anemia in dogs and cats. Don’t give your pets foods that have been cooked with garlic or onions. Garlic and onion powder are often more toxic than garlic and onion themselves.

Keep pets away from the punch bowl! We see the same clinical symptoms in pets after they consume alcohol that we would in humans: lack of coordination, vomiting, diarrhea, and depression of the central nervous system that can lead to a decreased rate of breathing and heart rate, and loss of consciousness.

Raw foods
Raw bread dough can cause dogs to bloat. Other raw foods, like meat and eggs, can be a cause for concern if they are contaminated with bacteria, particularly salmonella. 

Any type of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and especially cocoa powder is very toxic to dogs. Cats are also susceptible, but seem to be less curious about chocolate and cocoa. Blame chocolate’s toxicity on theobromine, a chemical related to caffeine. When pets get into chocolate, they can experience everything from hyperactivity to signs of stomach upset to cardiac conduction disturbances (problems with the electrical impulses of the heart).
White chocolate is not toxic, since it contains only sugar and no theobromine, but we still do not recommend giving to pets.

Grapes and raisins
Grapes make decorative garnishes on cheese platters, and raisins can be found in stuffings, breads and other holiday fare. Keep your dogs away from these foods—even a few grapes or raisins can wreak havoc on a dog’s health. Raisins and grapes may also be toxic to cats, but reports are limited. Grape and raisin toxicity is something of a mystery to veterinarians. The chemical leading to the toxicity remains unknown. Each dog has a different threshold for how much of these foods it can consume before it experiences kidney damage and kidney failure. If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, we recommend that you treat it as a medical emergency and seek veterinary treatment as soon as possible.

This artificial sweetener is found in a wide range of foods, like peanut butter, and non-foods, like chewing gum or sugar-free candy. Xylitol causes increased insulin release in dogs, which can cause low blood sugar. It can also cause liver toxicity.

Generally acceptable foods

Please talk with your veterinarian about any special dietary needs or sensitivities their pet may have before giving them people food. But, generally speaking, dogs and cats can eat these foods:

Watermelon (seedless)
Broccoli (in very small amounts)
Sweet potato
Green Beans
Popcorn (unsalted, unbuttered)